Monday 17 August 2015

We're changing our flag!?! 😰😱😨

Hello dear viewers,
I feel a bit jumpy today. I don't know why. Maybe because from the sugar from all those doughnuts...Oh! My mom made home-made doughnuts today for the very first time! Isn't that awesome?! Of course, not many of you would care but I do! They were so delish but mom was just like...

MOM: Hmmm, I'm not sure if it tastes right...did I make it right?...
ME:...Mom...I've got something to tell you...MAN, THESE DOUGHNUTS ARE AMAZ  HOW COULD YOU EVEN SAY THEY'RE NOT RIGHT, THEY'RE SO GOOD THAT I COULD PROVE IT TO YOU BY EATING IT ALL RIGHT NOW!
MOM: Uhh no way! *Grabs the bowl filled with doughnuts from my view and hides it in the cupboard (although I'll find it later anyway)* You don't need to prove it to me, I get the point.
ME: Good.

Yeah, I can be quite a glutton at times...hehehe...
But hey, I believe that mom makes the best food in the world, especially her pizza(Not gasconading or anything but yeah)! I pretty much love whatever she makes, whether it's good or not, because I just need something to eat. Gosh I sound like a complete glutton. Oh well...

Okay now let's get to the main point. So there's this whole changing the New Zealand flag thing going on and that they've rounded the designs to the top 40. Now, we (18 and older) are supposed to vote to narrow it down to the top 4 and then the winning design.

So our task this week was to choose our own top four flags. To be honest, I don't want to change our flag at all and I'll explain why in a moment...

Silver Fern (Black & Silver) by Sven Baker, tagged with: Black, White, Fern, Silver.
Okay, so I like this flag because...well it's not too over decorated and I like the colour grey...? It contains the silver fern which is good because that is a symbol of our country so yeah....

One of the 40 finalist flag designs.
Hmmm yes I kinda like the look of this flag...yes...it reminds our original flag but I like our actual one better. Sorry to the person who created it, it's really amazing and all but I prefer sticking to our original flag. But if I didn't want our original flag, I would definitely choose this one...yes....

One of the 40 finalist flag designs.
Yeah this one is good too. Not too over decorated, just like the first one. Shows the southern cross (one of our symbols too). This one's pretty cool.


One of the 40 finalist flag designs.
I quite like this one too. The koru and the southern cross look really nice together...lol...yeah and the colours are great too. Definitely one of the best.


Okay, so now that I've chosen my top 4, there can only be one winner...DUN, DUN, DUUUN! So my favourite design out of these four is...
One of the 40 finalist flag designs.
Yay, yes this one! i actually quite like it, so if I were supporting to change our flag, this one would be my no.1 choice. I fell in love with the design the moment I saw it. Well done. YAY!

Now, there's one thing I want to tell you. I really don't support this whole change the flag thing. Like, I just don't feel like it's right. At first I had no opinion on this matter and was just like:

Wait...A new flag?
...For New Zealand...?
...Hold on a sec...They're changing our flag...!?! 

The end. Yeah that was it pretty much. But now, after reading other people's blogs (I genuinely advise you to go and read everyone's blog because the ones I've read so far are amazing! Even if you don't comment, just read.) I actually have an opinion on this now. People have persuaded me that we shouldn't change our flag.

 Why would New Zealand want to change it's flag when it's already admirable just the way it is right now? Not just it's physical form, but also the great and brave people all around in New Zealand have done for our country throughout the generations, under this very flag. Just think about it. In the past, our soldiers fought for peace for our country under this flag. They worked so hard for us. Don't you think it will be disappointing for them if we changed it?

And now, in the present day, things are going just fine, the flag isn't doing us any harm, is it? And if they're changing the flag just because they think it will attract more tourists, well then they've got it all wrong. Tourists don't go to different countries just because of their famous landmarks and exciting views. They visit all those places because they believe that that country is strong. Strong and proud of their past, present and because they believe in the country's good future.

So if we change the flag, what good is it going to do for us? That's right, nothing. All it's going to do is change our flag, which means changing what our whole country's representing. Like I said, great accomplishments have been made under our current flag, holding all those great memories and actions as our flag stands strong on the pole.

Changing our flag now, will change literally everything, what we believe in and our respect to our ancestors. The new flag will hold nothing but colour and just...nothing. No memories, no accomplishments and no good deeds. Of course, if we do change it, then over the years, people will make new accomplishments for our country in the future, but what about our past heroes? They will be forgotten, like a piece of food wrapping that once helped the food it contained stay fresh but then thrown away after use. Our past heroes don't deserve that. They deserve better.

Our soldiers fought and died for our country for a reason and that one reason is for our country, New Zealand, to be happy, looked after and preserved. Not to be thrown away to be turned into something completely different, something that just isn't us. So I believe that our current flag should stay just as it is, for the people in the future to appreciate the good deeds many people did under this flag and for the good of our country.

*Takes a deep breath* Whoa. That was the best ever speech I've ever done in my entire life, better than all the ones I did in past speech competitions. Way better. So now you all understand why I don't want the flag to be changed. But, please, all those people who are reading my blog post right now, that support the idea of changing the flag, please don't be offended. This speech was just me trying to persuade people not to change our flag, not to make fun of people who want to change it.

Of course people have different opinions but that's fine. I didn't know how much this flag meant to me until I actually though about it now. So, yeah, please don't be offended to all those people who want a new flag.

Okay, well, thanks guys for reading this week's post. You don't know how much your comments and words of encouragement means to me. So, thanks again for spending your time with me and remember...



 

4 comments:

  1. Donuts!!!! Nice post Sharon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah - potential speech topic! Good arguments - even though I think we should change it to something less Englishy and more unique better represent NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahanice speech! You're making me hungry for donuts.......

    ReplyDelete